|Home » |
Herring Fillets in Wine Marinade, 26oz
|Average Customer Rating:
|| based on 3 reviews|
Average Customer Review:
( 3 customer reviews )
Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
2 of 2 found the following review helpful:
Exactly as expectedSep 25, 2012
By Stephen J
I'm not sure of the other reviewer's expectations, but I ordered this having grown up eating this stuff every time I visited my grandparents. It was exactly as I remembered: pickled herring as they do all over (coastal) Europe. Fish fillets are supposed to be mushy, and the fact it's warm is normal, since it was transported outside (unless in winter, maybe). They're pickled, essentially, so they won't spoil. I've always had them served cold, and with some vegetable accompaniment, like onion. So, anyway, these were ordered to be added to a snack table at a wedding, and every single one was gobbled up without any complaints during or afterward. If you want herring, this is a fine place to order from. If you're just gambling on a fish treat, like the other reviewer, you need to keep an open mind. This is a fine product, and the 1 star reviewer should probably stick to fish the way the serve it at McDonald's or Long John Silver's.
Be aware of what your buying! Requires constant refrigeration.Oct 18, 2012
By P. Reck
I am double posting this review for both the thick cut and filet versions of this product. So you may see it twice -- YES, I did order BOTH products.
1) This product comes COLD packed - read this next part carefully: This is a cold product - IT MUST BE KEPT REFRIGERATED, because it has no preservatives. Make certain you have ROOM in your fridge for the jar(s) which are slightly different than the one pictured (thinner diameter straight wide-mouth jar and taller, which makes then easier to fit in the fridge).
2) If you don't normally consume this product in this form (packed in wine sauce) then don't buy it. It would probably be considered to be an "acquired taste" by most. Buy a small jar in a local grocery first to try. If you like it then order this larger jar.
3) This brand does taste stronger than other brands I have tried. The fish taste is stronger on the thick cut product. My guess is that would diminish over time while marinating in the "wine" and onion based brine.
4) I suggest you try one jar before buying 5 like I did. Remember IT MUST BE KEPT REFRIGERATED -- it can NOT be stored without being refrigerated in a pantry.
5)This brand is pricey with shipping costs. You may be able to purchase locally if you don't require Canadian packed herring.
6) Eating fish may be good for you, and if you like this type of product, it might be an easy way to consume larger amounts of Omega fats other than downing supplements. You could live longer, but you will need to brush your teeth or chew gum more, or you may become an old person with fish breath. ;)
Finally I should note that this was the second shipment sent, but I never saw the first box which I was told was damaged during delivery. I was contacted by Parthenon Foods and offered refund or re-delivery -- no hassles. So they are very easy to work with and have good communication. I would other other products from them again. (I HAVE ENOUGH HERRING IN MY FRIDGE TO LAST A WHILE! ;)
0 of 1 found the following review helpful:
badJul 23, 2012
By george anderson
When I recieved the herring it was warm. I opened the jar and the fish was warm and mushy. There was also not a lot of herring in the jar. It wouldn't be a good buy even if the herring was edible. I threw it right into the garbage.
This product should not be shipped if it can't be protected from spoilage.